Thursday, October 15, 2009

The Simple Pleasures

Sometimes you really appreciate the simple pleasures in life. When you are a student and make little to no money that becomes mandatory. Today seems to be a simple pleasure kind of day. So here is a list some of my simple pleasures that made today much better:

1. Bagels with cream cheese and lox: This morning I had my 8:30 and due to some factors I won't go into here (okay I will, I was up late talking to my preance Alexandra) I woke up at 7:30, which gave me enough time to shower and have a little tea before rushing off. This means that I didn't have breakfast until later, more like 10:45-11:00. I went to the internet cafe where I can use my student card and they had the most delicious breakfast sandwich known to man (as someone who is not usually a fan of most breakfast foods outside cereal and toast this is quite a nice thing) a bagel with cream cheese, capers and lox. Yum!

2. Talking to my girlfriend. Being to students so far away makes communication difficult. We have managed to talk everyday since we've been apart but it is sometimes hard to get enough time in. In fact it is impossible. Today however her class was canceled and I only have my early class so we've been talking for a long time. The only reason I am writing this now is that we are taking a quick lunch break which brings me to simple pleasure number 3.

3. Lean Cuisine Swedish Meatballs. Lean Cuisine is a really nice way to get decent food if you don't have any cooking options outside a microwave, sink and electric kettle. This allows me to eat the finest in frozen dinners and oatmeal and not much else in the way of hot food unless I go out to eat. Of all the types of Lean Cuisine they have in stock my favorite is the Swedish Meatballs on pasta and today is the first day I've seen it there.

4. Library books. If they ever made a t-shirt that says "So many books, so little money" I would be tempted to buy that shirt but then not because I will have spent all my money on books. I am proud to report that outside of my textbooks, this quarter I haven't bought a single book. I've been checking them out from the library instead. They are awesome books about my future field and I am very excited about them. Reading them between meals and the love of my life.

Well there you are. A few simple pleasures from a relaxing day. Come to think of it a relaxing yet productive day can probably be considered a simple pleasure. I hope all of my blog reading public are finding equally enjoyable simple pleasures today.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Capers and Swedish meatballs are on my list of simple displeasures

Chukkie said...

Yum! Lox and capers and cream cheese on a bagel. what better breakfast is there? (Swedish meatballs on toast, maybe?)