Today I had my neuro-anatomy class and my I-LABS job. They both went pretty well.
To borrow from Charles Dickens, "It was the best of classes, it was the worst of classes; it was a class that is very interesting, it was a class that requires me to get up so early I am too sleepy to remember a lot of the things we learn; it was a class where I get to act out a neurological disorder..." wait what was that last part?
That's right since this class is a graduate level course we don't have many assignments, just two tests and one project. We talked about the project a bit today and I found out what we are doing and am very excited about it. On Thursday he will give us all neurological disorders. It could be Parkinsons, Huntingtons or any of those other nasty -tons. We'll have to do a whole project about it, doing research collecting data etc. The cool part though is that we will get to act out the disease in front of the class, mirroring movement troubles and speech problems. It sounds like so much fun! I love doing this sort of thing. I am not allowed to tell anyone what I have (although I might let my blogging public know if they promise to keep it to themselves) and the class will try to figure it out by asking me questions and seeing my symptoms. It's going to be great!
After that class I have my job at I-LABS. It's very easy and there isn't too much to do really. I mostly direct families to wait for the researchers and page people. In between I catch up on reading and today someone left the paper there and I did the Sudoku puzzle too. They are completely renovating that building though so my job will be interesting this quarter as I'll end up learning new places to send people each week. It's an easy job but I do help people quite a bit, however I have one tiny complaint and it's about the person who works after me.
One of the only things that they care about in that job is you being on time. She stressed to me during my interview/training session that the only real requirement be that I am there on time. I am always 20 minutes early, I even timed myself today and it takes me 19 minutes to get there from my class before it. I make small talk with the girl who works there before me and take over at 11:00. Hypothetically I should finish at 2:00. This wasn't the case.
Last week the girl who takes over at 2:00 wasn't there right away. Courtesy dictates I give her a few minutes and sure enough she was 5 minutes late. So today when 2:00 rolled around I decided to give her 15 minutes (which is the amount they tell you it is acceptible to be late by the way) to get there. I was into the chapter of my book and it ended up being 20 minutes. If you are late more than once you fail the course so I didn't want to get her in trouble, on the other hand she was very late and I hadn't eaten anything since 7:3o this morning. I went to talk to the woman who handles these things and told her that the girl wasn't there and I'd be leaving. I let her know when the next appointment was and left. I hope that she isn't late again and that everything is okay. Still it was a bit annoying.
Anyways that's the big stuff from my day. Now I'm going to do my homework for phonetics, it should be interesting; I have to compare data from several world languages. That's it for the Braunsey Blog more news as it happens.
Tuesday, October 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment