Here are a few interesting facts I've learned over the course of my linguistic career:
A human being and a chinchilla have almost identical auditory processing abilities
Turkish has a separate verb ending if the speaker is gossiping
As many as 10% of English speakers make their T sound differently but it's so subtle nobody notices
Swedish has nine different letters for vowels each with short and long forms
The word "so" is prnounced rougly the same in English, Japanese and Swedish
Up until the age of 9 months a child can distinguish between all language sounds
Sign language speakers use their face to express tense
The same part of your brain that activates when you move forward, when you talk about moving forward and when you talk about moving forward in a metaphorical way
Anyways there are many, many interesting things to learn about language, this was originally just going to be about the chinchilla thing, since we learned that recently in my psychology of language class but I couldn't resist sharing a few more facts.
Tuesday, October 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Here's another interesting fact: My children have about the same capability to clean up after themselves as a chinchilla.
Another interesting fact? My sister smells like a chinchilla.
I wondered why I felt that great surge of sisterly feeling when I saw (and heard) that chinchilla.
Post a Comment