Hi everyone! As promised, here is my weekly installment in the Chelsea files. A lot happens in my week, it's extremely busy, but it's usually filled with the same thing: dance, tutoring, dance, and tutoring.
Mondays I have dance from 8:30 to 10:30. Something that I really love about my apartment is that it is close everything. So, getting up and getting to class in the morning is a breeze. Mondays and Fridays I have dance 250 lecture in Gould Hall, which is only a couple blocks from my apartment so it's an easy walk. Last Monday, we read about and discussed Mexican folk dance, called ballet folklorico (with an accent over the second 'o'). After that, I have tutoring. I tutor a freshman football player in a building that's kind of in the middle of campus called Mary Gates Hall. There are constantly student athletes and tutors going in and out, which is a lot of fun. I've made friends with a couple of the other tutors, Lyndsi and Jonathan, and have met several of the students who have tutoring at the time that I am there. We have a lot of fun working together. At 2:30, I head to the dance studios where I have jazz class until about 4:00. Then I go home to shower and whatnot and I have to be back at tutoring at 6:00. In the evenings, I go to the Conibear Shellhouse which is next to the Husky Stadium, so it takes about 15 minutes to walk there (I've avoided getting in the habit of driving down there since it costs about $4.00 to park my car in the parking lot). I work with a volleyball player and two other football players.
On Tuesdays, I have to be to dance at 9:30, which is a class called Somatics Practices. The umbrella term for it is "alternative movement studies". It's kind like a mixture of yoga, pilates, and body awareness...it's interesting, I've actually learned quite a lot. I don't know if I can be considered very good at it, since I always have 8,000 things on my mind and it's going a mile a minute, but the class is pretty cool. After that I have more tutoring (freshman basketball) and then my salsa class from 2:30-4:30. On a side note, I had my rhythm exam in salsa last week and I knocked it out of the park! Yay! I have the same professor for Cross-Cultural Dance (250) and salsa, and she is pretty intense! Then I have more tutoring (more volleyball and football). This Tuesday was Kendy's birthday, so I called her on my way back from tutoring. I hope she had a fab birthday!
Wednesdays I have the same schedule for dance as Mondays, Dance 250 and Jazz, but we have practicum, so 250 is in the dance studio. Every week, we have a guest instructor. This week we learned son jarocho, a kind of Mexican folk dance, from Rubi Oseguera, who is from Veracruz, Mexico. Her dance troop is doing some kind of residency in Seattle so we are really lucky to have been able to dance with her. I have a lot of tutoring to do on Wednesdays, football and cross-country before jazz, and softball, cross-country, and baseball afterwards. I don't get done until at least 9:00.
Thursdays are just like Tuesdays, except that tutoring involves basketball, gymnastics, and cross-country. This Thursday, my friend Clane, who is a professional photographer, was featured on Evening Magazine. I was working and didn't get to see it, but he said he taped it, so I will get to watch it sometime soon. If you watched Evening Magazine, then you got to see my friend :-)
Friday, I have dance lecture, but then I pretty much have the rest of the day to catch up on whatever else I need to do. We studied tap dance for this week's lecture, and two of my classmates brought their tap shoes and had a "tap challenge" which was ridiculously fun. I had so much energy after that I had to go for a walk, so I walked down to the U Village, and then turned around and walked back so that I could meet Eric for lunch. I'm so busy, I almost never have a chance to see him! We hung out for awhile, and then he had to leave to watch Monk and I went to Mill Creek to stay with my friend Caitlin. We went to her house for dinner and then we were going to go to the movies, we decided to go out and have a drink instead.
On Saturday morning, we were supposed to get free H1N1 shots, but they decided that there were so many people that they had to give them to pregnant women and kids 6 months or younger first. I guess I'll just have to wait until they get the vaccine in at Hall Health here. I had promised to watch the UW football game this week since I missed it last week. They didn't play well and lost to Oregon by quite a bit, so that was disappointing. It's a lot of fun watching my students, but I kind of lost interest after awhile. I will probably have to deal with some cranky athletes tomorrow. Caitlin and I drove back into Seattle right after the game, and the U district was inundated with Ducks fans. At one point, Caitlin rolled down the window and yelled, "You're in the wrong city! Get out!" That evening, we met a friend of ours, Jason, and went out to a place called Flowers, then hung out at my apartment for awhile.
Sundays are usually my laundry days. I don't really have time to do my laundry on other days, but I have to change my clothes several times a day so it needs to be done. Caitlin spent the night on Saturday night so that she could go with me to the Chamber Dance Concert at the U with me today. It was a really good show, plus I had to see it for my dance class and write a paper about it which is due on Wednesday. Well, that's pretty much it This Week in the Life of Chelsea. I have some really fun stories about tutoring, but I can't tell you about them on here, they're classified.
Sunday, October 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Holy cow, Chelsea,you're busy! I can't wait to hear the classified tutoring stories!
Post a Comment