Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Whose Line is it Anyway?

I was reading last night and came across an excellent question. "What's the best pick-up line you've ever gotten?" I mean, what qualifies as a good pickup line? Did it work? In that case, I'd suggest something along the lines of "Hi". That usually works...

This made me think about some of the incredible pickup lines I've gotten within the last couple of years. Some of them are a series of 2 or 3 lines in a short conversation, but they still count. Here they are, and in no particular order! The Top 3 Winners:

Outside of the former Rite Aid on University Ave, near the bus stop where the weirdest people for miles around are likely to congregate:
Guy: Hey beautiful, how are you?
Me: (As I continue on my way) Fine.
Guy: Where are you from?
Me: (Over my shoulder as I continue to walk away) Here.
Guy: Oh. Me? I'm from Jamaica. Why don't you try Ja-Makin' out with me?

As I was walking along the Ave, going to class one afternoon
Guy: Hey! You're gorgeous.
Me: Thank you. Keep Walking
Guy: You wanna talk about it?

On the streets of Manhattan with my family when I was 18. Just to set the stage, this man approached me on the street right in front of my dad, who thought the whole thing was funny. We were absolutely exhausted from traveling all day and arriving in the middle of a huge thunderstorm. I certainly didn't feel very cute! Oh, and the guy was drunk.
Guy: Hey sweetheart, where are you from?
Here, I paused and looked at my dad, hoping the man would take the hint and just walk away, but he stopped and waited for me to say something.
Me: Seattle.
Guy: Seattle? Never heard of it!
I decided to walk away this time. My dad did great impressions of the guy for the rest of the day.

All pretty silly, right? Do guys think these things really work?

When I was in high school, some of my friends were downtown and were approached by a group of guys.
Guy (who ended up being named Shaavik): Did it hurt?
Athena: What?
Shaavik: When you fell from Heaven?

This sounds lame, but seeing as how Shaavik was young and at least mildly attractive, Athena thought it was funny and felt a little intrigued. It broke the ice, but it wasn't like they fell in love or anything!

So, what are some of your favorites pick-up lines? Or, pick-up situations?

3 comments:

Linguistics Lovers said...

The worst pick up line that I've ever heard was last year while accidentally watching "The Bachelorette." One of the guys' attempted pick up line was something along the lines of:

Guy throws a baseball to the bachelorette and she catches it.
Guy: You are a great catch!

All the guys and I myself were absolutely repulsed by such a lame flirtation attempt. Even the woman didn't know what to say (or where to hide!).

Andrea said...

I loved the guy who came into my office when I worked for the health department asking what all his yellow phlegm that he was coughing up was. After we discussed various possible causes including communicable diseases, he asked me out. HOT!

Jessica said...

Well, what worked for Zach was when I told him to "Get outta my neighborhood". I was 12 and he was 14. So romantic, it makes you want to cry, no?