Thursday, January 15, 2009

Keeping my fingers crossed

Hi Eric here. This blog is taking a little while to write because I am crossing my fingers for good luck. (Not literally, but it makes a good intro). Why do you need good luck? - I hear you ask (once again not literally). Well that's what this blog is about.

First off I recently applied to get into to the Speech and Hearing Sciences department. I am still majoring in Linguistics, but I would like to get a double degree. Speech and Hearing Sciences (or SPHSC) is a competitive major, so I am crossing my fingers for that. Although if I don't make it this quarter I'll just keep applying.

And secondly I just received an e-mail from my Mom with a great idea. There was a funny story that happened earlier this week and she stumbled upon a Reader's Digest contest for the funniest school story... so I submitted mine. Here is a version:
Instead of having regular Swedish class on Tuesday a bunch of the Scandinavian Studies classes got together so the teachers can tell us about the benefits of being in the department. A few of my friends in the class and I are Seniors with declared majors so we weren't the target audience. They put off starting the talk though because some guests from Finland hadn't shown up yet. The organizer told us we can't start until the Finns show up. When she said that I turned to the guy sitting next to me and said "I guess they can't start without the Finnish"

If they choose my story I can win $300 and a chance to get my story entered into an international competition.

So now I am keeping my fingers crossed. Cross yours for me too.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Ohhhhhhh! Good story! If you win, promise me you won't forget the little people in your life who knew you before you became rich and famous.

Andrea said...

Good luck! Can I have your autograph?