Sunday, October 3, 2010

Looking Up

So, things are looking better here. I had a meeting on Friday to discuss my upcoming students, and the learning specialists both said, "You have the problem of being too good. You're such a good tutor that we're sticking you with all of the difficult students." That was really nice to hear, and really, I like working with the at-risk students better that the ones that are easy. Even though I'm not a faculty liaison this quarter, I'm pretty happy with my schedule. I even found out that a got a raise of $1.50 more per hour. Score! Also, the winter editing course looks like a better fit for me. I don't particularly care for online classes, but this one is half online and half in class, and classes are on Saturdays, which is easier for me because then I can have the week free for tutoring. So, it's worked out well in the end.

Deshawn is still looking for a job, but he's signed up with a temp agency and is really working hard to get a position, so hopefully that will be productive soon. On a sad note, his cousin, who has been sick with cancer for awhile now, passed on Tuesday morning. So, Rest In Peace cousin Dell.

Rachel and my Mom came to Seattle for a few days while Rachel had some tests done at the Cancer Care Alliance. The whole thing was kind of a mess from the beginning what with Rachel having a massive seizure while they were waiting for to pick them up, and then when I was on my way to pick them up to take them back to the ferry yesterday, my tire went flat again! Luckily, Chukkie was available to save them, so they made their connections and got home safe and sound. It was certainly fun to see the Krattli clan on Friday night and have some delicious pizza and pop at the CCA house!

School started at the UW this week, and even though I don't really miss going to classes and living in the dorms and all that, it's been nice hanging out with some of my friends who are still in school, like Katherine and Riley. I also had dinner with a friend of mine from my London trip on Thursday. Even though Selena's graduated, it was fun to go The Ram and pretend we were still undergrads anyways.

Yesterday, one of the guys that lives in my apartment was playing something that sounded like the accordion and singing interesting old songs. First off, he sang "The Sidewalks of New York", which I wasn't aware anyone else new. It reminds me of Granny Duncan. Then, he did some sort of accordion version of "The Boy from New York City". Super cool.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

I'm glad things are going better for you. Hopefully a job for Deshawn is just around the corner. Rest in peace cousin Dell.

Chukkie said...

I'm so sorry about DeShawn's cousin, but glad that things are looking up.